Own mining pool - Good idea?

Hello~

First at all, my english is not that good. Excuse me for that.

I mined already a couple MNC's and looked behind the pools, the software and such things.

It's very interesting for me - Dont know if anybody else feel so. *smile*

So i looked behind the scenes and asked myself: "Can i make a own pool?"

After a couple minutes of searching i found the answer: "Yes i can"

But the question is now, is it a good idea? I mean it gives a lot of pools already. How can i announce my pool, when i set it up?

Can i get some workers who mine with me? Or should i not do that?

I hope you guys can understand my question *loughs*

~SatyPardus

• 2 weeks later...

But the question is now, is it a good idea? 

I think it really depends on how much effort you want to put into it. Running pools isn't always an easy thing, from what I've seen. I've not run one myself, but it's a responsibility you take on because you are dealing with other people's money.  You are holding their coins until they cash them out (even if automatic withdraws happen, they're still building up a balance before the withdraw happens).  It's sort of like a cross between an online wallet and a mining operation.  If something goes wrong and you lose peoples' balances, it's real money you're dealing with.

I don't really have much opinion beyond that, but you need to think of why you want to do this. If it's trying to make some money running the pool, then take it very seriously and be sure to bring on some miners at first who know you're testing things and that it's their own risk while you get things working properly.  It will be hard to get miners for very long if they think their coins are at risk, though.

...not sure what else to say.  Good luck figuring it out! :)

If you do start a pool, you'll maybe have the best luck getting miners by posting it in chat windows on exchanges, forums and putting your pool info in your forum signatures, for starters.

• 3 weeks later...

Im interested in everything about server/web/mining so i made one, its not hard if u have enought experience u can start it in 1-2 day. but finding miners who have no trust in u its closely impossible. check my pool, running 2-3 days ago 1-1 miner come rarely than leave, we found blocks and paid well//im not cheater// and still nothing.

Check it: http://newbiepool.szimre.net

Im interested in everything about server/web/mining so i made one, its not hard if u have enought experience u can start it in 1-2 day. but finding miners who have no trust in u its closely impossible. check my pool, running 2-3 days ago 1-1 miner come rarely than leave, we found blocks and paid well//im not cheater// and still nothing.

Check it: http://newbiepool.szimre.net

This is the hardest part about setting up a pool. People won't join when the pool has limited hashing power, and the pool has limited hashing power because people won't join. It's a pain!

Additionally, people have to trust pool operators to not doing any funky stuff, like skimming or botching withdrawals... or flat out shutting down and keeping their coins.  It really does take some time to work up a bit of a reputation of reliability and trust.

...that said, a ton of people seem to sign up with pools blindly and throw hashrate around like it's expendable. 

I would think the best way to go about starting a pool is at least having a decent amount of your own hashing power.   I can't imagine most miners wanting to mine on a pool that the owner isn't using themselves.  ( I know I don't)

I would suggest adding some of your own equipment and then invite people to the club. :P