If you're like me and run using a Mac, one of the first things you will notice, is a complete lack of instructions for using almost ANY mining software for alt-coins.

As if the alt-coin-community has completely ignored the fact that Mac's GPU power is on record as having been the best of the best, for decades.

I've taken my Mac to the edge of space and back in high altitude and micro-gravity flights for accurate data collection. I've used it to calculate all aspects of Military applications, and I've even used it to code Windows and Linux software to enble mass product production using cheaper disposeable equipment for military applications.

Now I'm retired from all of that, but my Mac is still hard at work, mining alt-coins and doing it fairly competitively dispite the lack of support from the Alt-Coin-Community.

The first thing I noticed in mining was that there are only 2 Mac based miners out there, that obey the Mac coding minimums as required by Apple, GUIminer is one, athough it doesn't do very well, and Asteroid.app (http://asteroidapp.com/)

Asteroid App is also the only miner that will do scrypt mining, as opposed to Mac-GUIminer which holds the poclbm SHA256 mining software only, dispite the abilities of it's Windows and Linux counterparts.

Step 1) Download Asteroid App.

Step 2) Open a mining account on MinCoinPool.com

Step 3) Open AsteroidApp and set your GPU miners to the mincoinpool GETWORK server and port, with the credentials from your account.

Step 4) Set AsteroidApp to open at Startup, and restart your Mac.

Step four is the step that took me the most time to figure out. Even though I had stopped the miner from starting when it first opened, the app still leaves an insance of the minerd running in the background. When you change settings however, it attempts to open a new process for minerd miner which is, lets just say, not healthy for your mac.

By rebooting once you have your settings completed, you eliminate this bottleneck hazzard and AsteroidApp will restart and run smoothly on the new settings.

-Jarl

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...