New MNC Algo

Jusdem

So is it true that RealSolid is working on updating Mincoin with a new algo, and what's the timeline and details around this?

I wonder what else is in the works for MNC?

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject. We all feel it would give MNC a "new" advantage over the plethera of coin-clones that came after it, but details still

need to be worked out as to whether or not this is in fact a viable option. From a technical standpoint it is a bit more complex than simply releasing an "updated"

client.

So, MNC is by RealSolid like SolidCoin/Microcash.

So to position MNC as a digital commodity and SC/Microcash as a digital currency  = digital form of fiat.

But where does bitcoin fits in? is bitcoin more of a digital commodity? if so, isn't every alt-crytocoin a digital commodity? if yes or no, why is MNC the first digital commodity?

Sorry, confuse newbie here.

So, MNC is by RealSolid like SolidCoin/Microcash.

RealSolid was not the original developer of MNC. He has been helping with it over the last months when asked, from what I've seen, and now he appears to be getting more directly involved, but I honestly don't know the details on that.

So to position MNC as a digital commodity and SC/Microcash as a digital currency = digital form of fiat.

MNC is definitely more poised as a commodity, as are BTC, LTC and most (all?) of the others.  Microcash is intended to tamper with the realm of an actual digital currency.  

There are many factors here, but among them are speed of transactions, stability of value and security of the currency and its network.  Microcash is attacking all of those and more.  (Sorry for the bad summary.. maybe it helps some.)

no timeline or details but yes  RS did say he planned on making a new algorithm for MNC that allowed better CPU mining like solidcoin 2.0.

you mean MNC become GPU resistant? last day im doing lil test, mining SC with CPU, but only get 1 block for 24H :D :D :D

I have seen the new logo, and its quite nice and professional looking. But I forgot the link.

i hope you remember the link, i wanna seeee it :lol:

you mean MNC become GPU resistant? last day im doing lil test, mining SC with CPU, but only get 1 block for 24H :D :D :D

SolidCoin is not "GPU resistant".  In fact, the original (or at least early?) proof of mining on GPUs was proven by mtrlt when he made Reaper, if I know my history right.  Reaper came out for SC first and was then used to make other scrypt-based mining possible on GPUs.  I'm pretty sure that's at least close to right. :P

Anyway, if anything, MNC might take on some of the SC hashing algorithm DNA, which doesn't make it GPU resistant, but does have much better CPU hashing performance.  My guess on the mining software is then pointing towards Reaper since it's already on track for SC mining.

...these are unofficial notes on the subject based on stuff I've pieced together over a while.  

SolidCoin is not "GPU resistant".  In fact, the original (or at least early?) proof of mining on GPUs was proven by mtrlt when he made Reaper, if I know my history right.  Reaper came out for SC first and was then used to make other scrypt-based mining possible on GPUs.  I'm pretty sure that's at least close to right. :P

Anyway, if anything, MNC might take on some of the SC hashing algorithm DNA, which doesn't make it GPU resistant, but does have much better CPU hashing performance.  My guess on the mining software is then pointing towards Reaper since it's already on track for SC mining.

...these are unofficial notes on the subject based on stuff I've pieced together over a while.  

i though Litecoin was the first "victim" of Reaper, LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: , but i dunno since im n00b :D

even if MNC have better CPU hashing performance, GPU still outperform CPU, so i think its pointless imo. <_<

If MNC goes off scrypt, the only way it will survive is if someone writes a GPU miner for it that is completely and utterly flawless.

In my opinion, I think that would be a horrible decision.

Actually, the hashing algo switch that was being discussed was that of the SolidCoin hash. Reaper already supports this algo with GPU mining. :)

Taking MNC off of straight scrypt wouldn't hurt a thing. There are so many GPU rigs out in the wild that it should flourish as all the FPGA's descend upon the scrypt coins.  I still love the idea.

I will just have to write an FPGA for whatever algorithm we choose then :)

But what is the point of changing it? do we just change the algorithm once we decide there are too many people mining it?

I will just have to write an FPGA for whatever algorithm we choose then :)

But what is the point of changing it? do we just change the algorithm once we decide there are too many people mining it?

Thats a good question, I'm not sure.

Where's that guy RS when you need him? I know he likes MNC that bastard  :P

Where is he, he should be in here...

If we switch the algorithm, it MUST be memory hard. It MUST have a GPU miner that launches with it. Until you find those things, it should remain on scrypt.

This is because of two things: memory hard algorithms are extremely costly to put onto an ASIC. It is not impossible to find an FPGA with the required qdrii RAM, and it isn't very costly (10-15k USD total). But an ASIC remains many years away for scrypt. We don't want to have another Sha256 arms race if we choose a similarly "non-memory-hard" algorithm.

Secondly, people must be able to easily mine your coin, whatever it is. Eventually we will have many transactions occurring on our block chain. We will need miners to power the network. If we have to sit around and wait for transactions to process, it will likely be the death of whatever reputation MNC has.

I've been really looking forward to a change to this algo recently.  I am really tiring of the list of all the coins blending together into a mess and I'm on board with the notion that an algo change will keep MNC on the top of lists of innovative coins.

I also am fairly sure that Reaper is just flat-out more efficient than other software.  I know temperatures are noticeably lower and it seems that the speeds are solid compared to other software.  Reaper v13 is pretty spiffy and hopefully a v14+ with even more tweaks could come out with all this. It would be cool to have more options for tweaking, but overall, it's a working app that is pretty straight-forward to configure.

There are plenty of GPU miners out there who will love to have a good coin to keep mining.