Installing bootstrap.dat update

• MNC Ballers

I have experienced installing the bootstrap.dat file on both Windows 10 and Linux Ubuntu 16.04. The latter was painless, performing as expected. However, the Windows 10 installation was frustratingly slow; taking well over six hours before finding the problem.

I should point out, I was using the current bootstrap file (at the time), of Mincoin-1901594-bootstrap.dat at https://github.com/mincoin/mincoin/releases

The problem was Windows' Security, namely Virus & Threat Protection. Once I disabled it, the installation progressed at a much faster rate.

A suggestion:

• before proceeding to temporarily suspend protection, you should have downloaded the bootstrap file and completed all internet activity for the duration of the update

Disable protection:

• Open up control panel, click on Update & Security. On the left, find and click Windows Security, then click Virus & Threat Protection.
  • In Virus & Threat Protection settings turn off Real Time Protection

Install update:

• So, the file is downloaded and you have closed your internet browser. You must now copy/move the .dat file to your MNC wallet's location. It must then be renamed to bootstrap.dat otherwise the wallet won't see it.
  • If your wallet is running, you must stop it.
  • Start your wallet. In the bottom left corner, you should see text "Importing blocks from disk".
  • walk away, have a nice cup-of-tea and a slice of cake
  • Note:
  1. Do not (unless you really have to) close the MNC wallet during the update. A restart causes the wallet to check the progress of the bootstrap update, resulting in lengthy delays

Post update:

• After your wallet has fully synchronised, you must re-enable the Anti-Virus Real Time Protection

I hope this helps someone. I had the good fortune to be able to talk to Xi at the time

Good luck